Next stop Budapest

It is 06:00 hours on Wednesday 5th July 2017, the sun is shining and I have a couple of photos of military vehicles. I remember being woken up for a passport check by the Hungarian border guards. Had I been dreaming about tanks earlier or is military hardware amassed on both sides of the border? I have tried to locate my position on Google maps without success so I cannot tell you where we crossed the border all I know is that the next station I saw was at Mezobereny some 2.5 hours later. I took some photos of the Hungarian countryside and the stations we passed so that we can follow the route across Hungary to our destination, Budapest situated to the west of the country.



I decide not to try out the communal shower cubicle so wash down in my compartment. Plenty of hot water. Ho-hum coke and crisps for breakfast! At last we pull into Bucharest Keleti railway station, a fine old building with iron and glass domed roofs. I have my first view of Budapest as I emerge from the station after pausing to take photos of the engine which brought us here. No taxis so I wander back inside to discover that they are off to the right through platform 6, the front entrance having been pedestrianised. Destination easyHotel, Eotvos utca 25. It is only 11:20 (the train was late) but I cannot check in until 14:00 hours however they will store my case; for a small fee of course - well this is the easyjet franchise.

Having dumped my case the next priority is food. I discover that the hotel is just around the corner from the Oktogon, a major intersection both for transport and for food. There is a metro station below with trolley busses above, or you can rent the equivalent of a 'Boris' bike if you feel energetic. Is this backpack or tourist central, there is everything from Burger King to 4 star dining, all you can eat Chinese to local cuisine. I wander around, once again it is extremely hot. I follow my nose.

My attention is drawn to two chalk boards on either side of the entrance to a cafe. One is in English with the prices in Hungarian Forint and Euros, a price comparison site? The other is in Hungarian and prices in Forint, identical to demonstrate that the tourist is not being ripped off. An interesting point of reference for menus too. Wilst I am taking photos the waitresses emerge ostensibly to set the tables but really for a photo opportunity. Now I know why they built the Iron curtain, I think they really didn't want to share all of their beautiful girls with us westerners.

Although by now it is about 1 pm I am still in breakfast mode rather than a large lunch so I wander on down Andrasy utca, passing greenery and cafes as I go. I have spied the Opera House and decide to investigate. Opposite one of the fine old buildings demonstrating the grandeur and riches of the Austro-Hungarian empire is being restored. The opera house itself is a grand building both inside and out. There are mini performances every afternoon, a taster of the culture here in Budapest. Outside is a ticket and information booth, I discover that there is a performance which I would like to attend, more of that later, and they have a handy wifi credit card reader too. I cross the road for a closer look at the building opposite and better views of the Opera House itself.

Crossing back I decide to venture no further than the Opera cafe terrace where lunch will be served, I hope. I opt for a local beer and a bowl of traditional Hungarian stew. A refreshing break as I contemplate the activities around me. The sun is shining and people head for the cafes and bars, it is too hot to wander far. A finely dressed woman and child settle at a table, are they performers from the Opera House having a break? A group of students are sitting at a table near me enjoying a wide selection from the menu. I take a couple of photos before departing to check in at the hotel.

Retracing my route I turn into Eotvos utca and pause to take a photo of the street itself. I then realise that you do not have to venture very far to see some amazing architecture. Such a mix all in one street. Behind closed doors lie courtyards and terraces of apartments. Greenery and stone pots decorate the front of some buildings whilst others open directly onto the street. Was this a house of ill repute or gentlemen's club in its day or a homage to the Baroque.

I return to the hotel to check in. Entering through the huge old wooden doors I return to reception. The manager and receptionist are both friendly and helpful. Without prompting instead of the fourth floor amongst the students they change my room to the ground floor wing where it will be quieter. The easyHotel in Sofia, Bulgaria had been of modern construction, this is a grand old building converted with a courtyard in the centre. On being show to my room the modular construction is revealed. The shower cubicle is identical to Sofia as is the layout of the rest of the room. Comfortable and functional. There is, supposedly WiFi but the signal is so weak that I can barely log on. My blog will have to wait.

No need to send flowers lol - I must admit that I didn't think that it would take this long! My arm is now out of its sling and and I am awaiting physiotherapy. I have a sheet of exercises to do but it is agony most of the day. I remain optimistic that things will improve with time despite the doom laden stories people delight in telling me. Never mind you can view all of the photos relating to the events described in this post in my "Next stop Budapest" album. Tomorrow we will hop on a bus and off again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A short break in Prague May 2008

Visiting Parliament

Moving on...